Blood Orange Hefeweizen – Batch 3
Yes, it’s that time of year again. Blood oranges are in season and that means it’s time for Blood Orange Hefeweizen. This is one of the most annoying beers I’ve brewed because it takes me so long to prepare the blood oranges. First they need to be washed, then zested, then peeled. All the pith needs to be removed or else the beer will be too bitter. During my hour of orange preparations, I strongly considered leaving the pith on and using less hops. But I’m too anal when it comes to details like that an I did it right.
This was my first all grain batch of Blood Orange Hefeweizen and I decided to use half Belgian Pilsen malt and half US white wheat malt. To be safe, I threw a bunch of rice hulls in the mash because stuck sparges suck. The Pilsen malt meant I needed to boil the wort for 90 minutes to drive off dms precursors. Getting 10 gallons of beer to boil takes long enough, but I managed to make it take even longer because I didn’t have a thermometer to put in my other keggle so I couldn’t sparge and run off wort to a keggle at the same time. That meant running off to my two older kettles, and then dumping that wort into my boil kettle after I finished sparging. So my brew day was 7+ hours and I missed about half of the Super Bowl.
I steeped the blood orange zest and fruit in a pot on the stove the entire time I was brewing. I took them up to about 180* and removed the pot from heat to let it cool. That also meant sitting above 160* long enough to pasteurize the fruit and kill off any yeast or bugs that might be on the zest. The water turned a nice ruby color and I added about half to each of the fermenters so I didn’t lose out on any aromatics or color from the oranges.
I used Wyeast 3068 for one bucket of beer and Wyeast 3638 for the other. I have used 3638 in the past and loved the results but I also read 3068 is THE Hefe strain to use. I guess we’ll find out soon. Unfortunately I didn’t remember to take a gravity reading because I was distracted by the football game and a cold pint when I finished chilling the wort. I have the two buckets sharing a fermwrap right now, which may or may not work very well. I suppose I should have bought another one. Oh well, I’m only trying to heat them to 62* and once the fermentation is rocking I doubt they will even need the added heat.
Recipe: Blood Orange Hefeweizen All Grain
Style: 15A-German Wheat/Rye Beer-Weizen/Weissbier
Wort Volume Before Boil: 13.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 12.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 12.10 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 11.00 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 10.50 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046 SG
Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG
Expected ABV: 5.0 %
Expected ABW: 3.9 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 13.9
Expected Color: 3.7 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 62 degF
Belgian Pilsen Malt 11lb 3oz (50.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US White Wheat Malt 11lb 3oz (50.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh (4.3 % alpha) 28 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz (3.9 % alpha) 28 g Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh (4.3 % alpha) 28 g Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
2 Servomyces capsules
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 and Wyeast 3638
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (67C/152F)
Step: Rest at 152 degF for 60 mins
Steep the fruit and zest of four blood oranges at 160* for 30 minutes for a normal 5 gallon recipe. Add fruit and cooled water to fermentor to add the color and flavor of blood oranges to the finished beer.